Mille Crepes

Have you heard of Mille Crepes?? It's a traditional cake which is rarely seen nowadays.. A colleague of mine ordered 2 sets the other day and unfortunately I didn't get to taste it as I was on MC.. bohoo.. review from another friend said that it was unordinary and the taste was nice! she ordered oreo and cheese flavored mille crepes..

so what is this mille crepes cake??

Here's what it is: 20 (as opposed to 1,000) lacy crepes layered with clouds of whipped-cream-lightened pastry cream. The top crepe is spread with sugar and caramelized like creme brulee. A fork plunged into a slice slides like a shovel through fresh snow. You get a whiff of smoky sugar, then layer after silky-sweet layer.

taken from: NewYorkTimes

There were online shops in Penang, KL and Johor that sells them. Not wanting to pay much for the whole piece of cake, I instead went to search for recipes.. Not many variations found and the recipes quoted by most bloggers came from the link above. Anyway, so I thought of giving it a try.. Indeed it was a fun + tiring experience flipping and frying the crepes.. I didn't use too much cream, afraid it would make it taste dull.. Also, since I don't like the taste of custard and definitely not my husband (i think i boiled the milk too long until it became a custard like structure instead of creamy), I tried adding some oreos to the cream and reduce the quantity of sugar needed. The taste wasn't that bad.. as my friend would rate it 7.5/10.. it's missing a lot of cream in between the layers.. but the taste was almost there.. enjoy!

btw..i do see that the pics are so much sharper.. SLR do wonders..! too bad i'm not that interested in learning how to use it properly.. automatic setting is the way to go!








No comments:

Post a Comment